Juan Mundel is an assistant professor of advertising in the College of Communication at DePaul University. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in advertising (Advertising Campaigns, Advertising and Society, Advertising Foundations, Creativity and Portfolio Building), consumer behavior and insights. Juan also serves as a faculty advisor for the Latino Media and Communication Program, where he teaches courses that examine Latinx and Latin American consumers.
Juan designed and leads two faculty-led study abroad programs for Public Relations and Advertising students. In the summer, his Creativity and Portfolio Building Abroad program includes a visit to the outstanding Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity. He also leads a two-week winter program in Argentina, International Social Marketing.
Before joining DePaul, Juan completed his doctoral degree in media and information studies at Michigan State University, a Master of Science in journalism at West Virginia University and a Licenciatura (BS) in corporate communication at Universidad Blas Pascal (Argentina).
From an interdisciplinary background, his research includes media psychology, health communication, consumer behavior, and social media advertising. During his first year at DePaul University, Drs. Juan Mundel and Nur Uysal created the Media Engagement Research Laboratory (ME Lab) to train Public Relations and Advertising students on advanced market research. The lab is funded through a generous grant secured by the advertising faculty in 2018.
Through the ME Lab, his research teams offer consulting services to private clients interested in collecting data through an independent unbiased party.
He has published a variety of journal articles in peer-reviewed journals, such as the Journal of Marketing Communications, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, and the Journal of Product and Brand Management. He is an active reviewer for leading journals such as the International Journal of Advertising, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, and Social Media + Society.
As an active member of academia, Juan is a member of the American Academy of Advertising and the Association for Educators of Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC). He also serves as the Graduate Student Liaison and Chair for the Advertising Division at AEJMC. Juan is also a member of the Chicago Advertising Federation.
- Mundel, J., Huddleston, P., Behe, P., Sage, L., & Latona. (2018). An Eye Tracking Study of Minimally Branded Products: Hedonism and Branding as Predictors of Purchase Intentions. Journal of Brand and Product Management, 27 (4).146-157.
- Mundel, J., Huddleston, P., & Vodermeier, M. (2017). An exploratory study of consumers’ perceptions: What are affordable luxuries? Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 35, 68-75.
- Alhabash, S., Mundel, J., Hussain, S. (2017). Social Media Advertising: Unraveling the Mystery Box, in “Digital Advertising”, eds. Rodgers, S. & Thorson, E. Routledge.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Deng, T., Mundel, J., Lynch, K., Kononova, A., and Alhabash, S. (2018). Predicting Cellphone Use while Driving and Walking Among College Students. Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication 2018 Annual Conference, Washington DC.
- Mundel, J., Lynch, K., Nelson, M., et al. (2017). Investigating Psychophysiological Processing of Alcohol Advertising on Social Media among Underage Minors: Policy Implications. Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), Chicago, IL.
- Mundel, J., Yang, J., Huddleston, P., Behe, B., Sage, L. (2017). Impact of product presentation on online shopping: can the Internet stimulate plant purchase intentions? European Association for Education and Research in Commercial Distribution Conference, Dublin, Ireland.