Samantha Close earned her PhD in Communication at the University of Southern California. Her research interests include digital media, theory-practice, fan studies, gender, race, and Japanese media. She focuses particularly on labor and transforming models of creative industries and capitalism.
Her documentary, I Am Handmade: Crafting in the Age of Computers
, based on her most recent research project, is hosted online
by Vice Media’s Motherboard
channel. Her writing appears in edited volumes and academic journals, such as Feminist Media Studies
, Transformative Works and Cultures
, and Anthropology Now
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Close, S. (Forthcoming, 2017). "Knitting Activism, Knitting Gender, Knitting Race". International Journal of Communication.
- Close, S. & Wang, C. (Forthcoming). "Erotic Imaginaries of Power in Fan Fiction Tropes". in A. Spacey (Ed.), Sex, Subversion and Bodily Boundaries: The Darker Side of Slash Fiction. McFarland.
- Close, S. "Fan Activism". in G. Meikle (Ed.), The Routledge Companion to Media and Activism. Routledge.
- Close, S. (2017). "‘Moon Prism Power!’ Censorship as Adaptation in the Case of Sailor Moon" Participations Journal of Audience and Reception Studies 14(1). 264-281.
- Close, S. (2016). "Fannish Masculinities in Transition in Anime Music Video Fandom". Transformative Works and Cultures 22.
- Close, S. (2016). "The Political Economy of Creative Entrepreneurship on Digital Platforms: Case Study of Etsy.com". Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences 49.
- Close, S. (2014). "Crafting an Ideal Working World in the Contemporary United States". Anthropology Now, 6 (3), 68-79.
- Close, S. (2014). "Through the Eyes, Ears, and Fingertips of Fans: Vidders, AMV Editors, and their Sources". in D. Laderman & L. Westrup (Eds.), Sampling Media (pp. 199-211). New York: Oxford University Press. 199-211.
- Close, S. & Schrock, A. (2017). Special Issue on Technological Expertise and Publics. Communication and the Public, 2(3).
Selected Book Reviews, Academic Blogging, and Encyclopedia Entries
- Close, S. (In Press). "Convergence Culture". In K. Peppler (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Out-of-School Learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Close, S. (2016, May 13). "Election-related Folk Art". Invited Post for Hippo Reads.
- Close, S. (2016). Review of 'Being Digital Citizens'. Journal of Cultural Economy 9 (5), 519-522.
- ". Invited post for Cultural Interventions Forum of Ethos Review.
- Close, S. (2013). Review of 'Mechademia Vol. 6: User Enhanced'. Transformative Works and Cultures 12.
- Close, S. & Schrock, A. (2013, May 24). "Introduction to Blog Collection on Civic Kickstarters". Confessions of an Aca-Fan: The Official Weblog of Henry Jenkins.
- Close, S. (2011). "A Dialogue Between Danielle Corsetto" and Sam Close. Octopus Journal 5.
- Close, S. (2015). The Absent Presence of Gender in Webcomics. Feminist Media Studies, 15 (3): 533-538. First comics format article for the journal
- Close, S. (2013, May 24). "Why All Kickstarters are Civic Kickstarters". Confessions of an Aca-Fan: The Official Weblog of Henry Jenkins.
- 'I Am Handmade’: Crafting in the Age of Computers. Hosted by Vice Media’s channel Motherboard. Screened at Feminist Activism: Imagination and Social Change Colloquium. University of York. 6-7 May 2016.
- Southwestern Anthropological Association Annual Conference. 1-2 May 2015.
- Screening Scholarship Media Festival. University of Pennsylvania. 27-28 March 2015.
- Human Cinema Film Festival. California State University at Long Beach. 13 November 2014.
- Master of Arts in Visual Anthropology Thesis Projects Premiere. University of Southern California. 14 September 2014.