students can hone their professional skills through a 10-week
internship. The experience allows them to take advantage of Chicago’s
thriving communication industry while working with experienced
professionals. Please note that internships are not required.
Step 1: Request Access to an Online Orientation Session (Must participate within 12 months of the
The College of Communication
graduate internship experience begins with a dynamic orientation session
where you will learn:
- How to earn academic credit for one or more internships
- Proven methods to find your dream internship — or future job —
through DePaul-sponsored and external resources (If you do not already
have an internship.)
- Career management tips to make the best use of resources while
working at your internship site
To request access to the online
session, please complete this form . Once
enrolled through D2L, you can participate at your convenience.
2: If you have requested access to an internship orientation session or, have participated in a session within the last 12 months, please proceed to the appropriate next step below:
Prior to applying credit for an internship, students must:
- Complete a minimum of two courses in their graduate program
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above in their graduate coursework
- Participate in a graduate internship (online) orientation session.
- Submit an internship proposal. Graciela Kenig, internship program director, must approve the internship in order for students to earn credit.
- If the internship is approved, students will be registered for CMN 591 Internship Practicum.
If you have satisfied all of the requirements above, please continue to Step 2 as instructed in How to Apply for Internship Credit.
Journalism Internship Scholarship
The Journalism Internship Scholarship provides $1200–$2500 in financial assistance to eligible undergraduate and graduate students pursuing a degree in journalism who are working in a quarter-long internship while enrolled in a Communication Internship course.
||Reopened January 8, 2019
||January 18, 2019|
||February 15, 2019
||April 1, 2019|
||April 30, 2019
||June 7, 2019 |
Application Requirements & Eligibility
In order to be eligible for the Journalism Internship Scholarship, the following requirements must be met:
- You are a journalism major or minor, or a journalism graduate student
- Financial need as established by a filed Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Office of Financial Assistance.
- You are working or will begin working in a College of Communication-approved internship related to journalism for the entire award quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer)
- You are enrolled/will enroll in a Communication Internship Course (CMN 394, 395 or 591) to earn internship credit
- You are a current undergraduate student with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5/4.0; or graduate student with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- You have completed at least two JOUR courses successfully
Special consideration will be given to those with unpaid or low-paying internships. Applicants with approved internships will be prioritized over those with internships still being developed. Students with internships in the development stage will still be considered pending approval.
A large part of the assessment will focus on the quality and relevance of your internship, how this internship will impact your professional and career development, and what you hope to learn in your internship in relation to the journalism field and your career goals.
Apply for this scholarship on DePaul Scholarship Connect.
Questions? Refer to the Tuition & Aid page or contact Shena Ramsay at email@example.com
For More Information
If you have questions about completing the Internship Program, please
contact the Internship Program Director Graciela Kenig, at (312)
362-7988 or firstname.lastname@example.org