Nur Uysal is an assistant professor in the College of Communication where she teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in corporate communication and public relations. She holds a MA in mass communication and a PhD in corporate communication, both from the University of Oklahoma. Uysal is the recipient of the 2012-2013 James E. Grunig and Larissa A. Grunig Outstanding Dissertation Award from the Public Relations Division of the International Communication Association (ICA). She is a three-time winner of the Top Faculty Paper Award from the National Communication Association and the winner of the Peter Debreceny Corporate Communication Top Paper Award from the Institute for Public Relations Research.
Uysal conducts research in corporate social responsibility, stakeholder engagement and the use of new communication technologies in public relations. Her scholarship explores the societal and technological forces that influence the relationships between organizations—non-profit, for-profit and governmental—and their stakeholders. Uysal’s research has appeared in top-tier strategic communication journals, and she is the author of a variety of chapters in edited books including the Handbook of Financial Communication and Investor Relations and the Handbook of Communication Engagement. She regularly presents her research at major national and international conferences.
Uysal is the recipient of several teaching and research grants. Most recently, she has received a Legacy Scholar grant from The Arthur W. Page Center for Integrity in Public Communication. She has been selected as a fellow for the Educator Fellowship Program by The Plank Center for Leadership in Public Relations. Uysal is a member of the Organizational Communication Research Center at the Institute for Public Relations. She serves on the public relations research committee at National Communication Association and as a PRIME Scholar Mentor.
An international communication researcher with strong connections to different cultural environments, Uysal brings her global experience into the classroom. When not teaching, she likes to travel with her family, exploring new cities and world cultures.
Uysal can be found on Twitter @nurefeuysal.
- Uysal, N. (2018). On the relationship between dialogic communication and corporate social performance: advancing dialogic theory and research. Journal of Public Relations Research, 30(3), 100-114.
- Uysal, N., Yang, A., & Taylor, M. (2018). Shareholder communication and issue salience: Corporate responses to social shareholder activism. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 46(2), 179-201, DOI: 10.1080/00909882.2018.1437643
- Yang, A., Uysal, N., & Taylor, M. (2017). Unleashing the power of networks: Shareholder activism, sustainable development and corporate environmental policy. Business Strategy and the Environment, DOI: 10.1002/bse.2026
- Uysal, N. (2016). Social exchange and sense of community in intranets: The impact of group norms on internal communication behaviors and processes. International Journal of Business Communication. 53(2), 181-199. doi:10.1177/2329488415627270
- Zaharna, R., & Uysal, N. (2015). Going for the jugular: The challenge from the 4th quadrant of a relational public diplomacy model. Public Relations Review, 42(1), 378-380. doi:10.1016/j.pubrev.2015.07.006
- Ragas, M., Uysal, N., & Culp, R. (2015). Business 101 in public relations education: An exploratory survey of the Arthur W. Page Society. Public Relations Review, 41(3), 378-380. doi:10.10/j.pubrev.2015.02.007
- Uysal, N. (2014). The expanded role of investor relations: Socially responsible investing, shareholder activism, and organizational legitimacy. International Journal of Strategic Communication, 8(3), 215–230. doi:10.1080/1553118x.2014.905478
- Uysal, N., & Tsetsura, K. (2014). Corporate governance on stakeholder issues: Shareholder activism as a guiding force. Journal of Public Affairs, 15(2), 210-219.
- Uysal, N., & Yang, A. (2013). The power of activist networks in the mass self-communication era: A triangulation study of the impact of WikiLeaks on the stock value of Bank of America. Public Relations Review, 39(5), 459–469.
- Uysal, N. (2013). Shifting the paradigm: Diversity communication on corporate websites. Public Relations Journal, 7(2), 8–36.
- Uysal, N., Schroeder, J., & Taylor, M. (2012). Social media and soft power: Positioning Turkey’s image on Twitter. Middle East Journal of Culture and Communication, 5(3), 338–359. doi: 10.1163/18739865-00503013