To be admitted to the Master of Arts in Public Relations and Advertising, applicants must demonstrate a capacity for achievement through past academic or professional work. The College of Communication looks at each application as a unique presentation of a candidate's profile and will consider a variety of information sources. Admission decisions will be based on the following:
- Online application and $40 application fee.
- Official undergraduate transcript showing the completion of a bachelor's degree (minimum grade point average preferred is 3.0 on a 4-point scale).
- Four essay questions (Essay questions should be saved as .doc or .pdf and uploaded into online application or e-mailed to email@example.com):
- What factors contribute to your decision to enter graduate school now?
- How does studying public relations and advertising relate to your personal and professional goals? (In your response, identify how this program suits your specific needs, goals, interests, etc.)
- What demonstrates your suitability for graduate study in this program? Build an argument for your admission.
- What understandings should admission reviewers bring to a reading of your application? (What additional information or explanations seem important?)
- Writing sample that demonstrates an applicant's ability to communicate clearly and concisely with a variety of audiences (for example: academic papers, scholarly articles, work-for-hire).
- Two or more letters of recommendation from work supervisors and faculty members
familiar with the applicant's academic and/or professional achievements. NOTE:
At least one of the letters should ideally be from a faculty member, such as a former
professor, and the second letter from a work supervisor or hiring manager, not a
- Résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Official GRE scores (only required for students who have a cumulative GPA of less than 3.0 in their undergraduate coursework). The GMAT will also be accepted in place of the GRE if an applicant has already completed the GMAT exam. The admission committee reserves the right to require the GRE after reviewing the applicants’ documents.
Applicants may be invited to attend an interview with PRAD program faculty as part of the application process. Interviews are held by video conference. The Office of Graduate Admission contacts applicants to schedule the interview, if one will be required.
An English language examination is required for
applicants who have completed their undergraduate education outside the
USA. The College of Communication requires the following English
language proficiency scores for consideration of admission to any of its graduate
||Minimum Score for Full Admission
||Minimum Score for Conditional Admission|
|TOEFL Internet-based version
||96 (each section at least 22)
||79 (each section at least 17)|
|TOEFL computer-based version
|TOEFL paper version
Students who accept conditional admission into the MA PRAD program are required to take coursework in DePaul's English Language Academy until their English language proficiency exceed all of the minimum levels required for consideration of full admission. Only upon successful completion of the English Language Academy are conditionally admitted students permitted to then enroll in the MA PRAD graduate courses.
students (those who were educated outside of the U.S. and/or require an
F1 visa) must take additional steps to be considered for admission.
Please review International Student Admission for exact information.
Tuition Award Available for the 2018-19 Academic Year
DePaul is offering a tuition
award to new students starting a College of Communication graduate
program in Autumn, Winter or Spring quarters. The tuition award is for $525 toward each
four-credit hour course – up to two courses per term. The award amounts
to a total of $6,300 towards a twelve-course graduate program and $6,825
towards a thirteen-course graduate program.
For details including eligibility requirements, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at (773) 325-4405 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application materials including the statement of purpose, writing samples, and resume, can be uploaded directly into the online application. Applicants also have the option of submitting the application without these items and emailing them separately to email@example.com. Students may request recommendations through the online application and track whether they have been submitted.
Transcripts (and letters of recommendation not submitted through the online application) should be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admission
College of Communication
2400 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614-2215
Application credentials (including official electronic transcripts) also can be emailed to the Office of Graduate Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure your name is on all documents.
Admission decisions for College of Communication graduate programs are made on a rolling basis. However, the college establishes regular application deadlines for each program so that applicants can be fully considered for admission and financial aid. The preferred deadlines for each term are listed below.
Applicants will be considered for an admission scholarship at the time of review. Admission scholarships are based on merit. A minimum 3.7 GPA is required to be considered for an admission scholarship.
We review applications for Fall quarter on a continuous basis. To be considered for fall admission, applicants should submit an application by August 15.
We review applications for Winter quarter on a continuous basis. To be considered for winter admission, applicants should submit an application by December 1.
We review applications for Spring quarter on a continuous basis. To be considered for spring admission, applicants should submit an application by March 1.
Learn more about the Public Relations and Advertising graduate program and meet with program faculty at an upcoming information session.
Learn more about Graduate Admission.
Ready to apply?
If you have questions, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at (773) 325-4405 or email@example.com.