DePaul University College of Communication journalism students won 23 awards, including seven first-place wins, in the SPJ Region 5 Mark of Excellence Awards on April 12.
The Region 5 awards recognize the best student work in Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. The winners advance to the national SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards, which will be judged in May.
The 23 awards are the most DePaul has won in the competition, and the College led the region in total awards for the third consecutive year.
The first-place winners include:
- Best Digital Student Publication: The Red Line Project
- Best Use of Multimedia: Searchable Crime Maps, Clayton Guse and Andrew Rodriguez, The Red Line Project
- Online News Reporting: School's Out: CPS Closes 50 Schools, Joe Ruppel, Josclynn Brandon, The Red Line Project
- Online Sports Reporting: Chicago Marathon coverage, Chicago Sidelines/The Red Line Project staff
- Television Feature Reporting: Crazy Deli, Jessica Paris, Good Day DePaul
- General News Reporting: Flags Under Fire, Dylan Fahoome; Dylan McHugh; Michael Corio, The DePaulia
- Sports Column Writing: Sports Columns, David Webber, The DePaulia
Update: The complete list of winners
has been released by the SPJ.