Visit our Communication internship listings, or DePaul's Handshake to find an internship, or bring in an outside company as long it meets the internship standards specified below.
- Work with the internship program director to identify an internship that best fits your professional interests
- Talk to your professors about professional contacts they have in the Chicago area
- Ask classmates about their internship experiences
College of Communication students have interned in a variety of organizations. These include Allstate, American Red Cross, Burrell
Communications, CBS 2 Chicago, ABC 7 Chicago, Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago
Tribune, Edelman, Leo Burnett, Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, The Shedd Aquarium, SapientNitro, NBC 5 Universal, Chicago Public Radio, American Medical Association, Starcom, Univision, WGN-TV, 670 The Score Radio, ComcastSportsNet and WTTW.
An internship position must carry significant responsibilities in the student’s field of study, giving him or her opportunities to hone skills while exploring career issues and interests. The position should involve substantial interaction with professional staff and/or supervisory personnel who can provide guidance and mentoring.
- An internship must be a significant position, which gives the student an opportunity to explore career development issues and interests.
- Duration of at least 10 weeks; working at least 10 hours/week (but no more than 20 if the position is unpaid). If the position is paid, the minimum is 10 hours per week and the maximum is by mutual agreement.
- Workload includes at least two learning objectives/responsibilities that provide experience in the student's major
- The position should not entail more than 25% clerical work
- It should involve substantial interaction with professional staff and/or supervisory personnel who can provide guidance and discuss the organization's vision, goals and objectives
- Work must be performed in a workplace/business environment - not in a private home. Freelance work does not qualify for a credit-bearing internship.
For More Information
If you have questions about completing the Internship Program, please
contact the Internship Program Director Graciela Kenig, at (312)
362-7988 or firstname.lastname@example.org.