DePaul University's Center for Journalism Integrity and Excellence focuses on promoting the highest ideals of journalism through theory and practice. Recognizing the importance of the role of the media in society, the center offers training, teaching, expertise and professional outreach.
The center was officially launched in May 2016, under the co-leadership of Peabody Prize-winning Chicago and national media veterans Carol Marin and Don Moseley.
Located in the College of Communication in the Chicago Loop, the center provides a nexus bridging the academic and the professional world, capitalizing on the resources of the university and the City of Chicago.
The guiding principle for the center is its adherence to the highest principles of journalism including truth, accuracy, fairness and context.
The Center for Journalism Integrity and Excellence:
- Collaborates with the Journalism program on courses and programming
- Offers courses on investigative journalism, with resulting projects disseminated via a range of media platforms
- Helps transition students into the profession by serving as a liaison to media professionals
- Facilitates internship opportunities both with the center and major news outlets
- Recognizes journalists whose work embodies integrity and excellence
- Hosts summits, seminars and guest speakers related to current issues and topics in the profession