The Organizational Communication program explores effective and participatory communication across business and organizational settings. Through a blend of courses that focus on both theory and practice, you will develop your individual communication skills as well as a skill set that includes:
- Ability to think, speak and write clearly
- Confidence to act as an ethical communicator
- Viewing communication events from multiple perspectives
- Understanding the multicultural character of communication in contemporary workplaces and society
- Analyzing and evaluate variables that operate in verbal transactions
- Recognizing the connections between organizational communication and other fields of study
As an Organizational Communication major, you will have the opportunity to take a variety of courses covering a broad range of topics, or take courses that are closely related to your specific area of interest. Courses include:
- Business and professional communication
- Communication and consulting
- Communication and corporate culture
- Communication and group decision-making
- Conflict management and negotiation
- Health communication
- Intercultural communication
- Leadership and teambuilding
- Public speaking
You are also encouraged to complete an internship, giving you the opportunity to apply your coursework to real-world experiences.
With this program, you may choose to concentrate in Latino Media & Communication
This concentration will teach you how to think critically about all
aspects of media and communication, with a particular focus on Latino
media and Latino communities.
We also offer combined bachelor's/master's degree programs, which allow you to complete a bachelor's degree and a graduate degree in five years.