The bachelor's/master's (BA/MA) combined degree program allows students to complete 12 graduate credit hours while still enrolled in their undergraduate program. These graduate credit hours will count toward both the undergraduate and graduate degree programs. These BA/MA programs are available to College of Communication undergraduates only.
Admission Criteria for the BA/MA in Relational Communication:
- 3.5 GPA in Communication courses
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Junior status
- Completion of CMN 101, CMN 102 and CMN 103
Students who meet the above criteria must submit the following to the Graduate Admission Office by May 1 (priority deadline):
- Online application (select "Graduate: Degree and Non-Degree" application)
- Official undergraduate transcript (e-Transcript is preferred)
- Four essay questions (Essay questions should be saved as .doc or .pdf and uploaded into online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org):
- What factors contribute to your decision to enter graduate school now?
- How do studies in relational communication relate to your personal and professional goals? In your response, identify how this program suits your specific needs, goals, interests, etc. and how relational communication studies connect with your future objectives.
- What demonstrates your suitability for graduate study in this program? Build an argument for your admission.
- What understandings should admission reviewers bring to a reading of your application? What additional information or explanations seem important?
- Writing sample (research paper that demonstrates the applicant's ability to synthesize and analyze scholarly work)
- Two letters of recommendation from professors in the College of Communication
Please submit all admission materials* to:
Office of Graduate Admission
College of Communication
2400 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614-2215
- The three RELC graduate courses
taken as a senior cannot be used to fulfill core major requirements.
They can be used to fulfill communication electives and open electives. Students are strongly encouraged to take two core courses and a methods requirement (CMNS 500, RELC 500 and CMNS 581 or CMNS 582) during their senior year.
- Students minoring in Relational Communication may count the three graduate classes toward their minor as long as these minor class(es) are also counting as outside electives.
- For BA/MA students who are completing their BA in Relational Communication and seeking an MA in Relational Communication, the core course requirement of RELC 500 – Theories of Relational Communication will be waived. Students waived from having to take RELC 500 will replace the course with an additional graduate RELC elective course (still completing the required total of 48-credit hours).
- Students admitted to the program must maintain a 3.0 GPA (B or better) in the three graduate courses taken as a senior.
- If a student fails to meet this GPA requirement, they will not be allowed to continue as a graduate student in the program.
- Students can defer their graduate admission for one year. If
students do not matriculate after completing their BA degrees or
within the one year deferral period, the graduate courses taken as
undergraduate students will no longer count towards the graduate degree
and students must reapply for admission to the graduate program.