The bachelor's/master's (BA/MA) combined degree program allows students to complete 12 graduate credit hours while still enrolled in their undergraduate program. These graduate credit hours will count toward both the undergraduate and graduate degree programs. These BA/MA programs are available to College of Communication undergraduates only.
Admission Criteria for the BA/MA in Media and Cinema Studies (MCS):
- 3.5 GPA in Communication courses
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Junior status
- Completion of CMN 101, CMN 102 and CMN 103
Students who meet the above criteria must submit the following to the Graduate Admission Office by May 1st (priority deadline):
- BA/MA Combined Degree Program Application
- Official undergraduate transcript
- Statement of Purpose (750 words) explaining why the student is seeking admission to the program
- Writing Sample (research paper that demonstrates the applicant's ability to synthesize and analyze scholarly work)
- Two letters of recommendation from professors in the College of Communication
Please submit all admission materials* to:
Office of Graduate Admission
College of Communication
2400 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614-2215
*Statement of purpose and writing sample can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The three MCS graduate courses taken as a senior cannot be used to fulfill core major requirements. They can be used to fulfill communication electives and open electives.
- Students are strongly encouraged to take two MCS core courses (MCS 501, MCS 502, or MCS 504) and one MCS elective during their senior year.
- Students minoring in Media Studies may also count the three graduate classes toward their minor as minor electives.
- Students admitted to the program must maintain a 3.0 GPA (B or better) in the three graduate courses taken as a senior.
- If a student fails to meet this GPA requirement, they will not be allowed to continue as a graduate student in the program.
- Students can defer their graduate admission for one year. If students do not matriculate after completing their BA degrees or within the one year deferral period, the graduate courses taken as undergraduate students will no longer count towards the graduate degree and students must reapply for admission to the graduate program.
Visit the Media and Cinema Studies MA section for more information about the graduate program.
Visit our combined BA/MA programs section for more information.