The Combined Degree Program allows students to complete 12 graduate credit hours while still enrolled in their undergraduate program. These graduate credit hours will count toward both the undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Undergraduate students from any major across DePaul University can apply to the Journalism combined degree program.
Admission Criteria for the Combined Degree Program in Journalism:
3.5 GPA in major courses
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Junior status
Students who meet the above criteria must submit the following to the Office of Graduate Admission no later than six weeks prior to the start of their senior year (i.e., prior to the start of their final three undergraduate quarters):
- Combined Degree Program Application
- Official undergraduate transcript
- Statement of Purpose (750 words) explaining why the student is seeking admission to the program
- Writing sample or project that demonstrates the applicant’s ability/interest in journalism
- Two letters of recommendation from professors in the College of Communication or in the major
Please submit all admission materials* to:
Office of Graduate Admission
College of Communication
2400 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614-2215
*Statement of purpose and writing sample can be e-mailed to email@example.com
- The three graduate courses a student takes as a senior cannot be used to fulfill core major requirements. They can be used to fill journalism major electives (for journalism majors), communication electives (for communication majors) and/or open electives.
- Students minoring in Journalism may count the three graduate Journalism classes toward their minor as electives. (Please note: students minoring in Journalism are required to take JOUR 275 and JOUR 278.)
- Students admitted to the program must maintain a 3.0 GPA (B or better) in the three graduate courses they take as a senior.
- If a student fails to meet this GPA requirement, they will not be allowed to continue as a graduate student in the program.
- Students can defer their graduate admission for one year. If students do not matriculate after completing their undergraduate degree or within one year deferral period, the graduate courses taken as undergraduate students will no longer count towards the graduate degree and students must reapply for admission to the graduate program.
- Students are strongly encouraged to take two of the three core classes (JOUR 501, JOUR 502, JOUR 503) and one JOUR elective during their senior year.
Visit the Journalism MA section for more information about the graduate program.